2020 BMW X5 Model Review with Prices, Photos, & Specs
2020 BMW X5
- Starting at $58,900 MSRP*
- BMW TwinPower turbo engines – 335-Horsepower 3.0L 6-cylinder, 456-Horsepower 4.4L 8-cylinder, and 523-Horsepower 4.4-liter BMW M Performance 8-cylinder
- Optional Off-Road Package with air suspension and new rear locking differential
- Standard BMW Live Cockpit Professional with twin 12.3-inch digital displays
- Standard Active Driving Assistant
- Optional factory Remote Engine Start
- Available Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System with 20 speakers and 1,500-watt output
- Available Rear-seat entertainment Professional system with a pair of 10.2-inch full-HD touchscreen displays and a Blu-ray-compatible DVD player
About the 2020 BMW X5
Now in its fourth generation, the 2020 BMW X5 rides on a 1.6 inch longer wheelbase and features an extra 2.6 inches of width for a more muscular appearance along with expanded cargo and passenger-carrying abilities compared to its predecessor. Since its introduction nearly 20 years ago, the X5 has been assembled exclusively in Spartanburg, South Carolina with over 2.2 million models sold worldwide. The X5 remains the perfect match for luxury SUV shoppers living active lifestyles or those with growing families. Both drivers and passengers will immediately gain a sense of spaciousness and refined comfort when they step inside the sophisticated interior of the BMW X5. Groundbreaking tech features add convenience, connectivity, and create endless possibilities for chasing adventure. Innovative driver-assistive and safety features help inspire confidence behind the wheel of the BMW X5.
What the Critics Say
What’s New for 2020
Following a complete model refresh last year, the BMW X5 has some exciting updates for the 2020 model year as well. The newest member of the X5 lineup making its debut this year is the pulse-pounding M50i featuring a more potent version of the 4.4-liter BMW M Performance 8-cylinder engine. These variants crank out an impressive 523 horsepower and 553 lb-ft of torque. Other performance-focused features found on these models include an electronic limited-slip rear differential, an M Sport exhaust, larger brakes, and race-inspired suspension tuning with adaptive dampers.
BMW X5 Features
While you’ll easily trace its lineage to previous generations, the exterior styling of the BMW X5 has been enhanced for an even more striking look. Clean surfacing and precise lines help emphasize poise and authority, helping the X5 stand out from ordinary luxury SUVs. Wider, longer, and taller than the outgoing model — the X5 delivers a sporty yet rugged character. Key design elements include standard Adaptive LED headlights, large BMW kidney grille with single-piece surrounds, and optional 21-inch and 22-inch alloy wheel designs. Opt for the X5 M Sport and you’ll also receive wheel arch trim, bumper trim, rear underbody protection, and side skirts finished in body color for a performance-inspired look.
Power & Performance
No matter which variant you select, the BMW X5 offers plenty of power and capability to conquer whatever challenge stands in your way. A standard 3.0-liter straight-six engine cranks out 335 horsepower and 330 lb-ft of torque for a perfected balance of response and efficiency. Conquer whatever Mother Nature throws at you with standard xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive for stability and surefootedness across the entire spectrum of weather conditions. The end result of extensive development, the X5 xDrive50i comes standard with a 456-Horsepower 4.4L 8-cylinder engine which can rocket from 0-60 in just 4.6 seconds. Now with sportier shift characteristics, an eight-speed Steptronic transmission is found on every BMW X5. Boost the off-road performance, sportiness, or comfort of your drive with an array of chassis systems available in the 2020 BMW X5.
Shifting our attention towards the interior of the X5, BMW engineers placed emphasis on creating a sense of spaciousness and ambiance through the use of sweeping horizontal lines throughout the cabin. Premium material found in the interior include a Vernasca variant for the leather upholstery along with optional BMW Individual extended Merino leather trim which is offered in five colors. Selecting an M Sport X5 model will get you exclusive interior trim strips in Aluminum Tetragon, M-specific pedals, M Sport steering wheel, and an anthracite headliner. For a true audiophile-caliber experience, the optional Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System features 20 speakers and 1,500-watt output. Remote engine start along with heated and cooled cup holders in the center console are just two further examples of luxurious amenities found inside the BMW X5.
As the seventh generation of the BMW iDrive Operating System, the BMW Live Cockpit Professional includes a high-resolution digital 12.3-inch instrument cluster display behind the steering wheel and a 12.3-inch center display diagonally across. This system offers noticeable improvements such as haptic controls on the iDrive controller, stunning visualizations, and the largest-sized displays in a BMW to date. Features of the standard Connected Package Professional include Real Time Traffic Information, On-street Parking Information, Concierge Services, and Remote Services for unparalleled connectivity inside the BMW X5. Open Mobility Cloud lets you use the power of your iPhone and Apple Watch, smartphones and smartwatches running the Android operating system, Alexa-compatible smart devices, and Google Home.
Trims & Specs
2020 X5 sDrive40i
- Starting at $58,900 MSRP*
- 3.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder, Rear-wheel drive
- 19-inch V-spoke wheels, style 734 with all-season run-flat tires
- SensaTec upholstery
- BMW ConnectedDrive® Services and BMW TeleServices
- Adaptive LED Headlights
2020 X5 xDrive40i
- Starting at $61,200 MSRP*
- xDrive, intelligent all-wheel drive
- Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO, COMFORT, SPORT modes
- Connected Package Professional featuring Real Time Traffic
- Live Cockpit Professional featuring two 12.3-inch displays
- Panoramic moonroof with fully automatic, 2-piece glass panel
2020 X5 xDrive50i
- Starting at $76,150 MSRP*
- 4.4-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo V8 engine
- Vernasca Leather upholstery
- Harman Kardon® Surround Sound Audio System
- Multi-input iDrive 7.0 system operated by voice, touchscreen, and iDrive touchpad Controller
- BMW Extended Ambient Lighting
2020 X5 M50i
- Starting at $82,150 MSRP*
- 4.4-liter BMW M Performance TwinPower Turbo V8 engine
- M Sport exhaust system
- M Sport Differential
- Adaptive M Suspension
- M Sport Brakes
*MSRP excludes destination & handling fee of $995, tax, title, license, and registration.