2022 BMW 5 Series Model Review with Prices, Photos, & Specs
BMW 5 Series
- Starting at $54,200 MSRP*
- Standard 2.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder (248 HP) with 8-speed Sport Automatic transmission with Sport and Manual shift modes – xDrive all-wheel drive (optional)
- Available 3.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder (335 HP), 2.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder with integrated electric motor (530e), or 4.4-liter BMW M Performance TwinPower Turbo V-8 engine (523 HP)
- Optional Parking Assistance Package
- 16-way power front sport seats including 2-way power side bolsters and 4-way lumbar support
- iDrive 7.0 Operating System featuring enhanced smartphone connectivity with additional microphone, USB connections, and Apple CarPlay™ Compatibility with 1-year trial
- BMW Live Cockpit Professional with Digital Instrument Cluster and Central Information Display
- Available BMW Traffic Jam Assistant
About the BMW 5 Series
Both sophisticated and poised, the BMW 5 Series remains the premier executive sedan for the driver who likes to take charge. Ranging from efficient hybrids to high-performance models, the 5 Series remains dedicated to uncompromising driving dynamics and precision handling. Optional xDrive all-wheel drive delivers superior performance across the entire spectrum of weather conditions.
Whether you’re on the road for business or pleasure, you’ll have access to an array of groundbreaking technology features to keep you connected and informed thanks to the standard BMW iDrive 7.0 Operating System. A collection of groundbreaking driver-assistive safety features deliver greater confidence on the roadways. Using the optional BMW Traffic Jam Assistant, you can keep moving on a crowded highway thanks to an advanced system that regulates steering, speed, and braking. Confident yet sleek exterior styling helps the BMW 5 Series stand out from your typical midsize luxury sedan.
What the Critics Say
“The 5 Series is a great car. It offers several energetic powertrains, a smooth ride, and sharper handling than many other luxury midsize cars. This BMW’s spacious cabin uses plenty of quality materials and provides two rows of comfortable seats. It comes with a lot of standard features and gives you more cargo room than most rivals.” — U.S. News & World Report
“Rich appointments and good design make the cockpit of the 5-series a civilized space. It’s a noticeable upgrade compared with the somewhat drab cabin of its predecessor. It’s also spacious for rear-seat passengers and features an impressive amount of technology.” — Car and Driver
What’s New for 2022
Changes to the proven BMW 5 Series are relatively minor for the 2022 model year. Wireless smartphone charging, on-board WiFi hotspot, and the remote start feature have been removed from the 5 Series model range. Both the Parking Assistance and Executive packages are now only available on M550i models. Finally, the Dark Graphite Metallic interior trim is no longer available on the 5 Series.
BMW 5 Series Features
Light, strong, and dynamic are three adjectives that describe the proven performance characteristics of the BMW 5 Series lineup. Standard power for the BMW 530i comes in the form of a 2.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder producing 248 horsepower paired to a responsive 8-speed automatic transmission with dedicated shift modes. Step up to the 540i and you’ll receive a potent 3.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder and 48-volt mild hybrid system with 335 horsepower. For the ultimate in performance, the M550i includes a muscular M Performance TwinPower Turbo V-8 engine that cranks out 523 horsepower. All variants can be equipped with the confidence of xDrive all-wheel drive. For an inspired combination of power and efficiency, 530e models operate at peak capacity thanks to the combined output of an electric motor and gasoline engine. Available Integral Active Steering gets your rear wheels in on the turning action for increased maneuverability at slower speeds. Customizable drive modes allow you to tweak transmission shift points, throttle response, and even the instrument display style.
Whether you’re trying to escape the hustle and bustle of the workday or simply want to upgrade your surroundings, the premium interior of the BMW 5 Series will not disappoint. Standard 16-way power front sport seats are available in your choice of SensaTec or fine leather upholstery for maximum comfort. From the iDrive touchpad and gear shifter to driver controls and displays – all important components are within arm’s reach. Offered for the first time in the 5 Series, the Live Cockpit Professional system integrates all of your screens into a cohesive package for ease of use. A redesigned Digital Instrument Display features the traditional speedometer and tachometer – and also integrates navigation and color-changing themes. More responsive than ever before, the BMW i Drive 7.0 Operating System now includes enhanced smartphone connectivity features including Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™.
Advanced Safety & Convenience Features
Simplifying some of life’s challenges and keeping you prepared for the unexpected are two core strengths of the BMW 5 Series. The optional Parking Assist Package lets you take the stress out of parking and helps you squeeze your 5 Series into a tight space. Advanced Vehicle & Key Memory allows the vehicle to remember important settings ranging from climate preferences to infotainment presets, configurable for multiple drivers. BMW Assist eCall™ includes Emergency Request (SOS button) and Enhanced Automatic Collision Notification for help when you need it the most. Included with Active Driving Assistant are an array of cutting-edge safety innovations. Examples include Daytime Pedestrian Protection, Frontal Collision Warning with City Collision Mitigation, Lane Departure Warning, Active Blind Spot Detection, and rear Cross Traffic Alert.
Trims & Specs
530i (AWD available)
- Starting at $54,200 MSRP*
- 2.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder
- SensaTec upholstery and Fineline Ridge Wood interior trim
- BMW Remote Services including Stolen Vehicle Recovery, Remote Door Unlock, BMW Connected App, and Concierge Services
- Live Cockpit Professional with 12.3-inch instrument cluster, 12.3-inch central information display, and multi-input iDrive 7.0
- 2-way power glass moonroof with “one-touch” operation and power interior sunshade
530e (AWD available)
- Starting at $55,550 MSRP*
- 2.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder with integrated electric motor
- eDrive button with AUTO eDrive, MAX eDrive and Battery Control modes
- J1772 AC Charging (3.5 kW) and Occasional Use Charging Cable (1.2 kW)
- BMW Extended Ambient Lighting
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers with adjustable speed
540i (AWD available)
- Starting at $59,550 MSRP*
- 3.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder
- Adaptive LED Headlights
- BMW Assist eCall™ including Emergency Request (SOS button) and Enhanced Automatic Collision Notification
- Fully finished trunk with remote trunk release
- HiFi Sound System with 12 speakers and 205-watt digital amplifier
- Starting at $76,800 MSRP*
- 4.4-liter BMW M Performance TwinPower Turbo V-8
- Adaptive M Suspension with electronically controlled dampers
- M Sport Differential and M Sport Brakes
- Aerodynamic kit with M Rear Spoiler
- M sport steering wheel
* MSRP excludes destination & handling fee of $995, tax, title, license, and registration.