2021 BMW 3 Series Model Review with Prices, Photos, & Specs
BMW 3 Series
- Starting at $41,250 MSRP*
- 2.0-Liter Inline 4-Cylinder with 255 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque or available straight-six cylinder engine with 382 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque
- Optional intelligently controlled powertrain consisting of an electric motor, a high voltage battery pack and an internal combustion gasoline engine (330e and 330e xDrive models)
- 8-speed Sport Steptronic transmission with a new control unit and further enhanced gearshift dynamics
- Available Vernasca leather upholstery
- Standard Active Guard Collision and Pedestrian Warning with City Braking function
- BMW Live Cockpit featuring iDrive 6.0 with an 8.8-inch digital touchscreen Control Display
- Standard rain sensor, automatic headlights, three-zone automatic climate control system, and hands-free phone system
About the BMW 3 Series
No other model has represented the concept of the Ultimate Driving Machine better than the iconic BMW 3 Series Sedan. With sales of over 15 million units worldwide over the past 40 years, the 3 Series embodies the heart and passion of the BMW brand. The introduction of the seventh generation of the 3 Series marks the continuation of inspired driving dynamics, premium refinement, and groundbreaking innovations which have set the benchmark for the modern sports sedan.
Synonymous with sportiness, versatility, and efficiency — the exterior styling of the 3 Series reflects its core strengths. Legendary BMW driving dynamics have been enhanced with an emphasis on lightweight materials along with the introduction of an advanced Limited Slip Differential. A standard 2.0-liter 4-cylinder, electrified plug-in hybrid powertrain, and legendary straight-six engine each provide distinctive choices for 3 Series shoppers. Interior ergonomics, connectivity, and refinement have been improved as well. Returning to its heritage as the ultimate sports sedan, the 3 Series continues to push the limits of what’s possible.
What the Critics Say
And while the cachet of the blue-and-white propeller emblem is potent, the 3 Series offers significant substance to back up the image. What is it? The pure, old-fashioned joy that comes from piloting an ideally engineered vehicle, one that begs you to drive it fast and hard and come out of each corner brimming with joy and ready to tackle the next curve.” — J.D. Power
Redesigning the BMW 3 Series has long been a daunting task, because each generation has set a high benchmark for the category. BMW promises increased performance with this next sedan, but it’s the added space, comfort, and conveniences that may best distinguish this car from the rest of the class.” — Consumer Reports
What’s New for 2021
The biggest news surrounding the 2021 BMW 3 Series lineup is the launch of the all-new 330e and 330e xDrive plug-in hybrid variants. These models feature eDrive technology which includes an electrified powertrain that offers a combined power output of 288 horsepower and 310 lb-ft or torque. Efficiency and electrified power delivery help position the 330e and 330e xDrive as leaders in the segment.
Elsewhere in the 3 Series lineup, Android Auto compatibility and SiriusXM with 360L and 1 year All Access subscription is now standard. Pricing for the available Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, and Executive Package have each been reduced for 2021.
BMW 3 Series Features
The bold design language found on the BMW 3 Series creates a modern interpretation of the sporting aesthetic. 2.9 inches longer, 0.6 inches wider, and 0.5 inches taller than its predecessor — the 2021 3 Series represents an evolution of this iconic sedan. Increased track widths of +1.7 inches up front and +0.8 inches at the rear improve both agility and poise on the road. Signature BMW kidney grille elements are framed by standard full-LED headlights. Sharp character lines strengthen the visual impact made by the forward-surging body. Drivers will have their choice of two non-metallic colors and ten metallic shades including the Portimao Blue metallic and Sunset Orange metallic.
Meticulous attention to detail and premium craftsmanship combine to produce the premium interior of the BMW 3 Series. A driver-focused cockpit and increased spaciousness allow you to focus solely on the road ahead. Electroplated trim strips and contours extending into the doors add a feeling of width and elegance. A revised gear selector lever is paired with the iDrive Controller along with buttons for the Driving Experience Control switch unit. Other available amenities include Vernasca leather trim, Sensatec instrument panel and door trim, and fine wood interior trim strips in high-gloss Ash grey-brown. The standard glass roof now offers a much larger surface area which can now be appreciated by rear seat occupants. Precisely positioned LED fiber-optic light guides to create a dynamic, exclusive mood with the available Ambient Lighting.
With a drag coefficient as low as 0.26 and a body weight reduction of 121 pounds, the BMW 3 Series is more agile and athletic than the previous generation. 330i models are powered by an improved 2.0-Liter Inline 4-Cylinder with 255 horsepower paired with an 8-speed Sport Steptronic transmission. The lineup is expanded further to include a BMW M Performance version along with a BMW iPerformance model featuring the latest plug-in hybrid drive technology. BMW 330e and 330e xDrive models are powered by a sophisticated electrified powertrain that offers a combined power output of 288 horsepower and 310 lb-ft or torque. Plug-in charging solutions help you enjoy a perfected combination of power and efficiency. Advanced xDrive all-wheel drive is available as well.
BMW M340i and M340i xDrive sedans are powered by a straight-six engine which cranks out 382 horsepower and peak torque of 369 lb-ft. These models also receive the Adaptive M suspension with electronically controlled dampers. Available M Sport brakes provide excellent braking performance and intuitive feel, helping to slow the immense power of the 3 Series.
More technologically advanced than ever before, the 3 Series provides drivers with assist systems and connectivity features which inspire every drive. An optional Harman Kardon surround sound system upgrades the system to 16 speakers and a digital seven-channel amplifier generating an output of 464 watts. With the standard Active Guard Collision and Pedestrian Warning with City Braking function, your 3 Series is able to come to a halt in order to either avoid a collision or minimize its consequences. Choose the optional Driving Assistant Professional to receive a full complement of assistance systems for comfortable and safe motoring. Its functions include Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Steering and Lane Keeping Assistant, and Extended Traffic Jam Assistant.
Trims & Specs
- Starting at $41,250 MSRP*
- 2.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder
- Driving Dynamics Control with selectable drive modes
- SensaTec upholstery and Fine Wood trim with Ash Grey-Brown high-gloss
- BMW ConnectedDrive® Services and BMW TeleServices
- 2-way power glass moonroof with “one-touch” operation and power interior sunshade
330i xDrive Sedan
- Standing at $43,250 MSRP*
- xDrive all-wheel-drive system
- Connected Package Plus with Real Time Traffic, BMW Remote Services including Stolen Vehicle Recovery, Remote Door Unlock, and BMW Connected App
- HiFi Sound System with 7-channel 205-watt amplifier and 10-speakers
- Live Cockpit Plus features multi-input iDrive 6.0 system operated by voice, touchscreen, and iDrive touchpad Controller
- 14-way power front seats and Electric Seat Adjustment
- Starting at $44,500 MSRP*
- 2.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder with integrated electric motor
- High-voltage 34 Ah / 12 kWh gross (9.09 kWh net) lithium-ion battery module
- 22-mile pure-electric range and up to 75 combined MPGe (EPA estimated)
- BMW eDrive Services including range and charging status display, charging station search, charging timer and cabin preconditioning
- Brake Energy Regeneration
330e xDrive Sedan
- Starting at $46,550 MSRP*
- Driving Dynamics Control with ADAPTIVE, SPORT, HYBRID and ELECTRIC mode
- Occasional Use Charging Cable (1.4 kW) and J1772 AC Charging (3.7 kW)
- 18-inch V-spoke bi-color orbit grey wheels
- Fine Wood trim with Ash Grey-Brown high gloss finishers
- Dynamic Cruise Control
*MSRP excludes destination & handling fee of $995, tax, title, license, and registration.