2023 BMW 3 Series Model Review with Prices, Photos, & Specs
BMW 3 Series
- Starting at $42,300 MSRP*
- 2.0-Liter Inline 4-Cylinder with 255 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque or available straight-six cylinder engine with 382 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque
- Optional intelligently controlled powertrain consisting of an electric motor, a high voltage battery pack and an internal combustion gasoline engine (330e and 330e xDrive models)
- 8-speed Sport Automatic transmission with enhanced gearshift dynamics
- Available Vernasca leather upholstery
- Standard Active Guard Collision and Pedestrian Warning with City Braking function
- BMW Live Cockpit featuring iDrive 8 with BMW Curved Display featuring a 12.3-inch instrument cluster and 14.9-inch central information display
- Standard rain sensor, automatic headlights, three-zone automatic climate control system, and hands-free phone system
About the BMW 3 Series
No other model has represented the concept of the Ultimate Driving Machine better than the iconic BMW 3 Series Sedan. With sales of over 16 million units worldwide over the past 40 years, the 3 Series embodies the heart and passion of the BMW brand. The introduction of the seventh generation of the 3 Series marks the continuation of inspired driving dynamics, premium refinement, and groundbreaking innovations which have set the benchmark for the modern sports sedan.
Synonymous with sportiness, versatility, and efficiency — the exterior styling of the 3 Series reflects its core strengths. Legendary BMW driving dynamics have been enhanced with an emphasis on lightweight materials along with the introduction of an advanced Limited Slip Differential. A standard 2.0-liter 4-cylinder, electrified plug-in hybrid powertrain, and legendary straight-six engine each provide distinctive choices for 3 Series shoppers. Interior ergonomics, connectivity, and refinement have been improved as well. Returning to its heritage as the ultimate sports sedan, the 3 Series continues to push the limits of what’s possible.
What the Critics Say
Few cars are capable of serving the gods of both comfort and sportiness as well as the 2023 BMW 3-series sedan. This perennial favorite can be outfitted as a corner-carving sports sedan or a well-appointed entry-luxury car—or a combination of both. Its three available turbocharged powertrains deftly walk the line between power and polish.” — Car and Driver
BMW offers the 3 Series with a number of powerful drivetrains and even includes a plug-in hybrid called the 330e in the lineup. We’ve commended the 3 Series for strong acceleration, sharp transmission tuning, confident braking, and sharp steering.” — MotorTrend
What’s New for 2023
The iconic BMW 3 Series receives a refresh for the 2023 model year, highlighted by changes both inside and out. Exterior changes include redesigned front and rear bumpers, slimmer LED headlights, and new alloy wheel designs. Step inside the cabin and you’ll discover a number of changes to its luxurious interior. Key tech updates include the addition of the latest iDrive 8 operating system along with the stunning BMW Curved Display that includes a 12.3-inch instrument cluster and 14.9-inch central information display. Last year’s gearshift lever has been replaced with a smaller switch while the number of tactile buttons has been reduced for a more streamlined interior layout. These changes help solidify the 3 Series position as a leader among luxury compact sedans.
BMW 3 Series Features
The bold design language found on the BMW 3 Series creates a modern interpretation of the sporting aesthetic. Signature BMW kidney grille elements are framed by standard full-LED headlights. Sharp character lines strengthen the visual impact made by the forward-surging body. Drivers will have their choice of two non-metallic colors and nine metallic shades including the Portimao Blue metallic and Skyscraper Grey metallic. Opt for the available M Sport package and enjoy a number of track-inspired features that give your 3 Series a more aggressive look. Standard 18-inch alloy wheels help provide a mixture of recognizable style and poised handling at all speeds.
Meticulous attention to detail and premium craftsmanship combine to produce the premium interior of the BMW 3 Series. A driver-focused cockpit and increased spaciousness allow you to focus solely on the road ahead. Electroplated trim strips and contours extending into the doors add a feeling of width and elegance. A revised gear selector lever is paired with the iDrive Controller along with buttons for the Driving Experience Control switch unit. Other available amenities include Vernasca leather trim, Sensatec instrument panel and door trim, and fine wood interior trim strips in high-gloss Ash grey-brown. The standard moonroof now offers a much larger surface area which can now be appreciated by rear seat occupants. Precisely positioned LED fiber-optic light guides to create a dynamic, exclusive mood with standard Ambient Lighting.
With a drag coefficient as low as 0.26, the BMW 3 Series is more agile and athletic than the previous generation. 330i models are powered by an athletic 2.0-Liter Inline 4-Cylinder with 255 horsepower paired with an 8-speed Sport Steptronic transmission. The lineup is expanded further to include a BMW M Performance version along with a BMW iPerformance model featuring the latest plug-in hybrid drive technology. BMW 330e and 330e xDrive models are powered by a sophisticated electrified powertrain that offers a combined power output of 288 horsepower and 310 lb-ft or torque. Plug-in charging solutions help you enjoy a perfected combination of power and efficiency. Advanced xDrive all-wheel drive is available as well.
BMW M340i and M340i xDrive sedans are powered by a straight-six engine which cranks out 382 horsepower and peak torque of 368 lb-ft. These models also receive the Adaptive M suspension with electronically controlled dampers. Available M Sport brakes provide excellent braking performance and intuitive feel, helping to slow the immense power of the 3 Series.
More technologically advanced than ever before, the 3 Series provides drivers with assist systems and connectivity features which inspire every drive. The revolutionary BMW Curved Display, included as standard, prominently features a configurable 12.3-inch instrument cluster and 14.9-inch central information display. An optional Harman Kardon surround sound system upgrades the system to 16 speakers and a digital seven-channel amplifier generating an output of 464 watts. With the standard Active Guard Collision and Pedestrian Warning with City Braking function, your 3 Series is able to come to a halt in order to either avoid a collision or minimize its consequences. Choose the optional Driving Assistant Professional to receive a full complement of assistance systems for comfortable and safe motoring. Its functions include Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Steering and Lane Keeping Assistant, and Extended Traffic Jam Assistant.
Trims & Specs
- Starting at $42,300 MSRP*
- 2.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder
- BMW Curved Display
- Driving Dynamics Control with selectable drive modes
- SensaTec upholstery and Fine Wood trim with Ash Grey-Brown high-gloss
- BMW ConnectedDrive® Services and BMW TeleServices
330i xDrive Sedan
- Starting at $44,300 MSRP*
- xDrive all-wheel-drive system
- HiFi Sound System with 7-channel 205-watt amplifier and 10-speakers
- Connected Package Professional including Real-Time Traffic Information, My BMW App, and Concierge Services
- Dynamic Cruise Control
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers with automatic headlight control
- Starting at $43,300 MSRP*
- 2.0-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo inline 4-cylinder with integrated electric motor
- High-voltage 34 Ah / 12 kWh gross (9.09 kWh net) lithium-ion battery module
- 23-mile pure-electric range and up to 75 combined MPGe (EPA estimated)
- BMW eDrive Services including range and charging status display, charging station search, charging timer and cabin preconditioning
- Brake Energy Regeneration
330e xDrive Sedan
- Starting at $45,300 MSRP*
- Driving Dynamics Control with ADAPTIVE, SPORT, HYBRID and ELECTRIC mode
- Occasional Use Charging Cable (1.4 kW) and J1772 AC Charging (3.7 kW)
- 18-inch V-spoke bi-color orbit grey wheels
- Fine Wood trim with Ash Grey-Brown high gloss finishers
- Dynamic Cruise Control
*MSRP excludes destination & handling fee of $995, tax, title, license, and registration.